The Desert Healthcare District, in collaboration with the Coachella Valley Economic Partnership, is offering a $5,000 one-year scholarship for junior and senior undergraduate students pursuing a degree during the 2016-2017 academic year, toward a career in the Mental and Behavioral Health sector.
In order to qualify, students must demonstrate financial need (EFC of $10,000 or less on the FAFSA), be attending an accredited college or university in the United States and must reside within the Desert Healthcare District. Scholarship awards may be used for tuition, books, educational fees, living expenses or other education related expenses.
Scholarship applications will be accepted on a rolling basis. The priority deadlines are:
August 19, 2016 • September 23, 2016 • March 17, 2017
Late or incomplete applications will not be considered. Recipients of scholarships will be notified by phone or e-mail. For further information or assistance, please call 1-760-671-2016 or e-mail David Slack at David.Slack@cvep.com.
To be considered for the Desert Healthcare District Mental and Behavioral Health Careers Scholarship, you must meet the following criteria:
- You must be pursuing a Mental/Behavioral Health related major or career (see below for a list of eligible majors)
- You or your parents must be residents of the Desert Healthcare District (See boundaries here).
- You or your parents must have been permanent residents of the Coachella Valley over the past three (3) consecutive years.
- You must have attended a California high school for a minimum of three (3) consecutive years and graduated or completed a GED in the state of California.
- You must have completed the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) by the March 2, 2016 priority deadline, and have received an Estimated Family Contribution (EFC) of $10,000 or less, which demonstrates financial need for this scholarship.
- You must be pursuing your first bachelor’s degree in a mental/behavioral health related major at an accredited college, university, or academic institution in the U.S.
- You must have a minimum 3.0 GPA or above and maintain full-time enrollment and good academic standing throughout the academic year (as defined by academic institutions).
- You will be given preference if you have had previous involvement in college preparation program(s), demonstrate community leadership, have been involved in a career pathway program(s), and are first generation or first in family to attend college.
- You must submit two (2) letters of recommendation from a professor, counselor or community leader. Letters must have been written within the past two (2) years.
- You must submit a copy of your unofficial transcripts.
- You must submit a copy of your 2016-2017 Student Aid Report (SAR) from FAFSA.
- You will be expected to sign a contract with the Pathways to Success Scholarship and Leadership Program involving you in scheduled leadership events, mentoring, workshops, and web based interactions.
- You must complete the CVEP Pathways to Success / College Futures Foundation information release form.
Scholarship Award Amounts
The Desert Healthcare District and Coachella Valley Economic Partnership (CVEP) are collaborating to provide significant scholarship awards, so that students may work less and focus more on completing their education. This Mental and Behavioral Health Careers scholarship award is:
- Up to $5,000 per year to undergraduates attending accredited colleges and universities.
The CVEP Pathways to Success Scholarship and Leadership Program is not only focused on increasing student success in college, but also in helping students increase their leadership success. Pathways to Success brings together industry leaders to share their expertise and affords our scholars unique networking opportunities. If awarded a Desert Healthcare District Mental and Behavioral Health Careers scholarship, you will automatically be accepted into the Pathways to Success Student Leadership program. Scholarship recipients will be required to attend the following event:
- Desert Healthcare District Scholarship Awards Ceremony
- Date: Friday, October 7, 2016
- Time: 5:30PM – 6:30PM
- Location: To Be Determined
Mental Health Majors & Careers
The Desert Healthcare District is investing in developing the Coachella Valley's Mental Health Workforce Pipeline. In partnership with the Coachella Valley Economic Partnership, the Desert Healthcare District is accepting scholarship applications from students pursuing majors and career choices in the following mental and behavioral health related fields:
Undergraduate Majors Related to Careers in Mental/Behavioral Health
- Behavioral Health Science / Applied Behavioral Science
- Criminal Justice
- Health Sciences
- Human Development
- Public Administration
- Social Work / Social Services
Careers Related to Mental/Behavioral Health
- Administrative Hospital Psychologist
- Career/Vocational Counselor
- Clinical Psychologist
- Correctional Facility Psychologist
- Engineering Psychologist
- Experimental Psychologist
- Forensic Psychologist
- Genetics Counselor
- Marriage and Family Therapist
- Mental Health Counselor
- Military Psychologist
- Private Practice Clinical Therapists
- School Psychologist
- Special Education Teacher
- Substance Abuse Counselor
- Teaching Psychologist